Black Eye Beans 2kg
SKU #: 60019
Blackeye Beans 2kg.
Black Eye Beans 2kg. By Tropical Sun.
Blackeye beans, also called blackeyed pea or California Blackeye, is a beans widely eaten in most Afro Caribbean dishes. Cooked with rice, it constitute meals called Waakye in Ghana, with replicas in many parts of Africa, in Jamaica and other Caribbean Islands.
It is a great source of protein and vitamins. Apart from being eaten boiled, it can be used in making moi moi, fried bean cake (akara), or pancake.
How To Cook Blackeye Beans
This recipe is to cook the black eyed pea for serving with any other item like bread, yam or plantain.
- Pour about 500g of beans into a flat tray. Carefully pick out any unwanted foreign body... stone, dead beans or leaves and ensure the beans is really clean. What you do not want is to eat stone along with beans!
- Now, put the beans into about 1 lite of water. Wash beans up to twice to clean off any dust or pesticide that may be embedded in it.Wash carefully. You do not need to peel off the skin. You can do this if you find that beans causes you to be bloated.
- Like most beans, you get better result by soaking the beans overnight in water, or for about 6 hours prior to cooking. This saves both time for boiling, and energy.
- Once ready to cook the beans, place soaked cleaned beans into a saucepan. Add about 1 liter of clean water into beans. Cover the sauce pan in moderate heat and bring to boil for about half an hour.
- Check intermittently to prevent it from getting burnt, and add more water if needed until the desired level of tenderness is achieved.
- Now, add about 3 table spoonful of red palm oil. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add slices of onions, and sprinkle a little dry hot red pepper. Add about quarter teaspoonful of cooking salt.
- Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.